Why do you need a card? Library cards are necessary for checking out items, accessing the online databases and using the computers, both here in the library and in the computer center.
- Library cards are free for residents of the City of Takoma Park, as well as those who work or go to school within the city limits. Non-residents will be charged annual fees.
- Bring a photo ID. If your current address is different from the one on your ID, please bring proof of residence as well. This could be a printed check, utility bill, bank statement, MVA card, or a lease.
- If you are a child we will use your parent's ID if your parent accompanies you when you get your card. You can also take the application home, bring it back with all signatures, and we will mail the library card to your parent to give to you.
- Replacement cards cost $2 if your original card is missing. If your card is simply worn out, we will replace it at no charge.
- New to this library? You can now fill out an application for an account online. You will still need to bring in proper documentation to get your library card. If you don't do this within 7 days the application will be erased. (Please don't fill out a new application if you just lost your card or want to renew.)
Do you work in Takoma Park or are you currently registered at either
the Takoma Park campus of Montgomery College or
Washington Adventist University ?
To get your free card please bring proof of current registration or employment, as well as standard identification.
Students at the six local public and parochial schools are also eligible for free cards.
- Takoma Park Elementary School
- Piney Branch Elementary School
- Takoma Park Middle School
- Washington McLaughlin Christian Elementary School
- John Nevins Andrews Elementary School
- Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School
Do you actually live in the City? Please call us at 301-891-7259 and we will check your address. Receiving your mail through the Takoma Park post office does not mean you live here.
We are a department of the City, not a county library, and we charge nonresident fees. (We will temporarily waive the fee if you work or go to school in Takoma Park. See the list above.)
The annual fees are:
- $37 for people who live in Montgomery County but not inside the City of Takoma Park (Note: the cost has been partially offset by a contribution from Montgomery County.)
- $60 for residents of other jurisdictions (PG County; DC; etc.)